"You Too" and Stuff...

If it's "a penny for your thoughts" but you have to "put your two cents in", someone is making a penny somewhere.

Monday, January 17, 2005

TGIF

I'm going to use this font today because it seems to be the "in" font to use. Plus, I feel like being a little different...what else is new?

Is it just me or has everyone else had the busiest weekend ever? It seems like I had something planned for every second of the day. I wasn't supposed to have today off, but a co-worker offered to switch holidays with me due to her prior plans. Now I will be working on President's Day, but that's ok. With the inauguration coming up this week, I'm not really impressed by any president-related anything at this point. It's kind of like when you get a box of chicken nuggets and the third one you eat has a big nasty piece of grizzle in it. You're no longer happy about chicken nuggets and it's a really long time before you eat them again. Bush is my grizzle-tainted chicken nugget. Don't even get me started on the inauguration expenses...Actually, I guess that's a good place to begin this weekend's entry.

Friday after work, I met my friend Chris for dinner. Chris and I long decided that if we're not married by the time we're 40, we're going to just give up and become "domestic partners." Chris and I met in college and he's one of my best friends. We don't see each other very often due to busy schedules, but we at least try to get together once a month. We're already like an old married couple. We're set in our ways and feel uncomfortable if something disrupts our system. He usually just gives me a call at work and says, "Meet me at the Square." and I know exactly what this means and what time I'm supposed to be there without further conversation. If we go to the movies, the concession stand is a given. We know exactly what we're getting. In the the theater, we sit in the same place every time. This day was different. As many of you already know, I'm a consumer whore so when I saw a commercial about TGIF's new 3-course deal, I got excited. Chris hesitantly agreed to go...and we did.

Chris at "The Square"

As I was waiting in the parking lot, I was listening to talk radio, a habit I had formed after Winter had forced me to listen to NPR anytime we were in a vehicle. I'm now an addict. I used to love listening to the local hard rock station's morning show because the host was/is an idiot. I enjoyed being able to actually scream at him in my car because of his sexist, off-color, ignorant statements. I should have gotten a job for the FCC. I now listen to anything from stock trading info to sports radio.

This night I was listening to Lars something-or-other, who was a self-proclaimed conservative. He was talking about the money that is going to be spent on the inauguration and how it was such a waste, but then he switched and started talking about how if a Democrat were being sworn in, money wouldn't be an issue. He didn't do a very good job at trying to make his point because at the end, I still didn't understand exactly what was making him so upset if he indeed wanted Bush in office. I did know that I was pissed off by the items that this guy was throwing out regarding things that could be purchased for the amount of money that was being spent on the inaugaration, and Chris being my main debate partner on almost all political-related issues, was about to be forced into a discussion. According to a Washington Post article that Lars was quoting, the $40 million in private funds could be used to purchase 200 armored Hum-Vee's, vaccinations for 22 million children, or a down payment on this massive deficit we seem to have accrued. Taxpayers would then be responsible for paying for all other inauguration-related expenses outside of the $40 million. I have to stop here because I can keep on ranting, but I'd rather save it for Thursday. Surprisingly enough however, when I started discussing the issue with Chris, he took my side.

I have been to TGIF's less than 5 times in my life. Each time I go I remember why this is. It's a nightmare. Unless you're a firefighter, I believe that suspenders as part of your uniform should be banned, especially suspenders that are decked out with such classy buttons as the one our waitress was wearing that stated, "Yeah, like I'm going to work my ass off for your $1 tip." Wow. That's like me wearing a T-shirt to work that reads, "And you're telling me your problem because..."

The 3-course meal that I was looking forward to wasn't as exciting as I was hoping. The appetizer choices were great, the entree options were ok, but the dessert...not so good. You had 2 choices: cheesecake or low-carb cheesecake. I don't know why I was so disappointed because it's not like I'm ever able to eat dessert after I stuff myself at one of these these restaurants anyway. This occasion wasn't any different. Chris wanted to split a rich brownie dessert, but by the time I finished with my Cajun Shrimp and Chicken Pasta, my stomach couldn't handle another thing. This was not our "Square" and I immediately felt bad for taking a risk.

This nasty bronchial/cold/allergy/flu thing that's claiming everyone's precious hours due to this fucked-up weather, has hit. I had bronchitis last week and it seems to have struck my mother this week. I knew that her boyfriend was taking her to PromptCare so I thought that I'd check on her after dinner instead of attending the movie that Chris and I had planned on. When I got home, she was sleeping and doing ok so I decided to head out to a local drinking establishment that was close to my house. My new favorite local band was playing there.
The Oohs are great, mixing up 70s classics with 80s hits and even a few 90s top 40 tunes. Look forward to another "Oohs-themed" entry soon.

Frank and Brian from The Oohs

Jenny met me at The Stadium for some good times and spirits. Jenny is an attractive woman so it seems whenever she goes to this particular bar, all the men around want to buy her drinks. This usually benefits me as well because we're a 2-for-1 deal. You can't buy a girl a drink and just ignore her "cute" friend. It's a good thing I'm not a drinker. Jenny, who can't seem to say no, graciously accepts these drinks. On this particular evening, instead of Jenny rubbing her ass on everyone when she dances as she usually does when she becomes intoxicated, she fell on her ass...she actually fell into the band onto one of their amps and an electric guitar. Coincidentally, they were playing "867-5309/Jenny" at the time. Immediately after the fall I drove her ass straight home and made sure that she got inside ok.

Jenny and I








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home