"You Too" and Stuff...

If it's "a penny for your thoughts" but you have to "put your two cents in", someone is making a penny somewhere.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Shivering on Sunday

It is so freakin' cold here! However, it was the perfect day to attend the International Chili Society's Winterfreeze Cook-off ! I attended the event annually for a number of reasons. The International Chili Society only has cook-offs to benefit charity. This year the chosen charity was
St. Jude's Children's Hospital. The second reason that I attend is because my favorite local band, Mr. Opporknockity, always plays the event. They haven't been playing in Springfield recently so it gave me an opportunity to catch up with them. Whenever they're around, a great time is always guaranteed.

This year I received an e-mail from a friend at the local country radio station who had asked me if I wanted to help out at the event. WFMB was sponsoring the event as part of the "Country Cares" campaign that country music stations across the country were participating in throughout 2005. St. Jude's Children's Hospital is the main charity that Regena supports so she was excited when I asked her if she wanted to work with me. We decided that we would assist with collecting admissions and selling 50/50 raffle tickets.

The cook-off was a blast ! The place was sooo crowded and at the time we left, over $1,500 had been raised! Regena and I couldn't resist trying to find out favorite cook so we sampled 12 different chilis. Our mouths were on fire and we couldn't find enough water to make the pain go away. We learned that our tastes in chili is quite similar and agreed on who we thought should have taken home first place.

Mr. O was there to represent as usual, but some things had changed. They were playing with a new lead guitarist, Michael Sullivan. I was worried because I didn't know how the band would do without their previous lead guitarist. The guys always worked so well together and I didn't think that a replacement would work, but they sounded like they were doing ok for it being Michael's first gig with the group. I was sad to learn that another link was leaving the band to join another one. Steve Myers, the bass guitarist had seemed to appear from out of nowhere when he first joined the band and certainly fit in better than the previous bass guitarist. It was a fun ride watching him blossom with the group. It will be sad to see him go. Good Luck, Steve! Does anyone out there play the bass guitar?? (Just tryin' to help ya out Troy...)

Before we left, Michelle, one of the hosts of the morning show on WFMB showed up. She had just flown in from Memphis. She actually toured St. Jude's and you could tell that she was gung-ho, ready to raise as much money as she could to help the kids. Congrats to all for such a successful event!

While our stomachs felt like they were on fire, the weather was still cold outside when we left. For some strange reason I couldn't get my car to start. Of course, as soon as I got someone on the phone who knew about cars and started cursing the situation, Regena turned the key and it started right up.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home